Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sugar Monsters and other Kitchen Nightmares

It's been a rough day for me today in several ways, the worse of all, those sugar monsters are trying to kidnap me and hide me in a dark corner with promises of satisfaction and happiness. It never seems to fail that when you have control of every morsel you put in your mouth, those monsters are sitting on your shoulders, reminding you about "a little chocolate in moderation" or "ice cream, ice cream" as well as other nightmarish yet familiar chants. Each time, I whack them without a vengeance, but it does not make this any easier.

A few minutes ago, I came so near to defeat as I grabbed a bowl from the cabinet, a spoon from the drawer, and headed for the seductive calling of those sugar monsters telling me there's nothing wrong with the familiar and yummy taste of a bowl of Raisin Bran. To some, this may have been a healthier choice compared to what I could've been craving, such as cupcakes or brownies, ice cream or chocolate bars, but to me, it's all bad, and I stay away from all of it. Especially milk.

Most would clear the cabinets of such luxuries but when you have a teenager with full-time teenage visitors, you can't destroy their routines as well, and deny them of what they can have when their bodies do not pack it on the way it does some of us. So therefore, the cereal and juices stays. Another said to me once, why not go on a low-fat or low-calorie plan? Here's the obvious answer to that. I have PCOS and the only time I can lose weight is by following a low-carb plan. It has nothing to do with an Atkin's phase nor any other phase because years ago, before that name even became popular, my doctor had told me drop down to a specific amount of carbohydrates.

Anyhow, just sharing some thought of how I am like anyone else and find myself in temptation for the forbidden. I will overcome these cravings as they are only temporary anyhow. I am boiling up a couple dozen of eggs as deviled eggs made with mayo, cream cheese, and a tad bit of mustard always does the trick of satisfying any type of craving I may have. So as soon as those are down, I'll get them set up, and instant snackage will be available!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment