Friday, July 9, 2010

The Blahs of the Plateau

When attempting to lose weight, there's one thing we all do eventually and that's plateau, you know, the mornings you relieve yourself in the bathroom, do a few things around the house, and then step on the scales. The scales look at you, repeating the same number they showed you yesterday, three days ago, or even two weeks ago? I'm experiencing the plateau for the last weekend and a half now. This usually happens when Mother Nature comes in to torment me with her womanly duty, so I don't step on the scales out of habit to avoid disappointment, but today I stepped on there and the scales repeated the same number I saw a week and a half ago. Scales! You must move now!

The big question has been floating amongst the minds of my friends and even when I tell them, the concept hasn't connected with them as to how I'm losing this weight. It's simple. I do not eat processed foods. Every now and then, I may, but 97% of the time, I don't mess with them. It's simple. My daily plates consists of products which once walked on the earth or they grew from the earth. You may have heard of Michael Pollan from Oprah a while back. He has the philosophy as such, "You can eat junk food, if you make it yourself!" His idea of junk food are fried, sweet potato fries. I've made them twice, but prefer them to be broiled instead.

He has a book which is full of food rules and I follow his food rules. He says, "If it's been made in a plant, don't eat it." He doesn't care if it was once a plant, you don't touch it. Basically, you're living off meat and vegetables. I also eat eggs, but I don't touch milk. Did you know that milk is full of cancerous particles? I drink soy milk once in a blue moon, preferably the vanilla flavor, light.

Following his rules reminds me of the Atkins diet in some ways, but not all. You can compare them simliar, but not completely as the food rules don't count carbs, calories, or any of that. You simply follow his rules, your body will be cleansed, and you'll be healthier. You also lose weight.

Don't think it's that simple however because you also have to move your body! You have to get up out of your chair, off your couch, and move it! We were walking here, some light jogging as best as possible for woman of my size to do, but it's too hot for that. So what do you do? Hello Zumba! Yes, this wild and crazy, hip hop style dancing-aerobics that tires you out in 4 minutes. It's amazing, awesome! The first time I did it, I hit the floor in less than a minute. My muscle burns had their own burns. It really worked me up! I can last over 4 minutes now before completely exasperating myself. It's really high powered and crazy. Check it out!

So there's the story of how and those blahs I feel from the scales not moving. I know they will move again, I'm going to increase my movement and my water intake and hopefully I'll be reporting a lose on my SparkPeople page before long!

No comments:

Post a Comment