Sunday, September 19, 2010

Experimenting with Chia Seeds

As I sit here writing this blog, I have a piping hot cup of coffee sitting next to me. Typically, one would add cream and sugar to their coffee and be done with it. The cup next to me is coffee, heavy cream, Splenda, and Chia seeds. Yes, you heard me right, I'm enjoying a cup of coffee with Chia seeds.

Last Wednesday, I received my first 2 pound bag of Chia seeds and I've experimented with them every single day since. The first day I received them, I grabbed an empty Diet Lipton tea jar which I recycle in many ways after purchasing them by the case that is, I added 1/4th cup of dry, Chia seeds, and two cups of water. Why? It creates Chia gel. Chia gel can then be used to replace 1/2 the butter in your dishes or even oils. So, I made this gel, shaking it occasionally over the course of 15 minutes, and by then, the jar was completely full of Chia gel.

The first night, I added 1/4th cup of this mixture into our dish. No one could really tell they were in there as each individual seed forms a gel "bubble" around it, therefore you can't actually bite into them. The 2nd day, I replaced the butter in dressing I used to stuff the chicken with. I really hadn't noticed any changes in how I felt, if I had felt full or not, or anything, but on day three? I literally jumped out of the bed as if I were the Road Runner from the Bugs Bunny days, full of energy and completely exuberant.

Part of the reason I bought these seeds is because my anemia causes me to feel lethargic on some days, which leads me to being moody and sometimes even depressed. I figure if I can get energy in a seed, then sign me up!

Anyhow, I'm on day five of this experiment and I truly feel as if I'm taking an anti-anxiety medication as I'm full of energy and my moods have completely stabilized. I also feel fuller! Yes, I don't have cravings for junk food nor either. I keep this full feeling all day long and well into the night.

So far, this experiment has proven that the soluble fiber of these seeds is true as you will definitely be a regular bathroom visitor. It's not diarrhea nor excessive, however it does regulate your bowel movements. You will find yourself energetic and fuller.

This coffee has sort of a tapioca consistency to it, by the way. I'm going to continue through to day 7 and on day 8, I will be back to report fully as to how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking. At that time, I will also break down the benefits of these seeds. I didn't want to get everyone excited just yet, so let me finish this week long experiment and I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment